Updated March 2022
Experienced Heavy Equipment Repair and Diesel Technician Training
Suppose you’re looking for a diesel technology program in the Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio region. In that case, you’ll be especially interested in the Diesel and Heavy Equipment Repair Technology program offered by the New Castle School of Trades. This diesel technician training program provides you with the entry-level diesel training and skills you need to begin working in an exciting field.
What Do Diesel Technicians Do?
Diesel technicians are responsible for inspecting and repairing diesel pickup trucks and other vehicles with light-duty diesel engines. As part of the Diesel Technology program at NCST, you will learn all the skills necessary to diagnose, maintain, and repair diesel engines.
The New Castle School of Trades is a highly experienced trade and technical school in Pennsylvania and Ohio. With our 60-week Associate in Specialized Technology Degree program, you’ll gain a wide variety of mechanical and technical skills, including (but not limited to):
- Test-driving vehicles to diagnose equipment problems
- Diagnosing, troubleshooting, and disassembling diesel engines
- Replacing pistons, bearings, gears, valves, and bushings
- Installing ignition systems
- Maintaining and repairing generator sets
- Performing wheel alignment and replacing steering/suspension components
- Replacing transmissions and associated parts
- Lubricating moving parts
- Repairing undercarriages
- Diagnosing problems with and replacing chassis assemblies
- Repairing and replacing both pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems
- And much more!
Equipment you may work on:
- Diesel-powered cars
- Heavy construction equipment
- Farm equipment
- Electronic-drive engines
- Power-generation devices and more
Best yet, students in our diesel technology program will also receive commercial truck driving training so that you’ll have a thorough understanding, both inside and out, of the diesel vehicles you’ll be repairing.
Current Educational Tools
In the diesel technology program, you’ll perform repairs on various semi-tractors, diesel engines, and heavy construction equipment. You will learn these skills using equipment that includes:
- A computerized information system
- Diagnostic computer scanners
- Lab scopes
- Fuel injection testing equipment
- Basic engine-testing tools
- Specialized transmission tools
- Electronic circuit testing tools and meters
We also assist you in being even more successful in your career by offering training in such courses as:
- Career preparation
- Strategies for success
- Job readiness
- Financial basics
- Customer service
Additionally, we offer graduates of our Diesel & Heavy Equipment Repair program job placement assistance to help them secure their desired position, making us an attractive option for diesel technology schools in PA. If you believe you’ll find it challenging to come up with the funds to finance your education, the New Castle School of Trades provides various financial aid programs for those who qualify. So don’t let finances prevent you from learning an in-demand skill. The need for diesel technicians is expected to grow in the coming years, and you could reap the benefits through diesel technician training!
The Demand for Diesel Technicians
Did you know that O*net listed diesel engine mechanics as a green occupation? That’s because diesel engines are more efficient than gas-powered units.
- Many engines also use biodiesel, which is less harmful to the environment than traditional diesel fuel. With the increasing popularity of eco-friendly cars and equipment, the use of diesel-powered vehicles is sure to grow in the coming years.
As a diesel technician, you can look forward to having a skill set that is always in demand!
Help for Veterans
If you served our country, NCST wants to serve you. We are a military-friendly school and we consider it an honor to help our nation’s armed services veterans learn the trades and technical skills that will assist them in getting great jobs in the private sector. For more details about our commitment to the military, reach out to us!